Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Holy Guacamole!

It is the end of the quarter, so naturally I'm looking for anything to distract me from the mounds of grading that I have sprawled across my executive-sized desk.  The sun showed its face for the first time in days and whispered at me through the open windows that I need to share my guacamole recipe with the world.  Spring really is just around the corner and maybe you want a fresh treat! 

I don't mean to brag, but my guac is pretty good and I think a lot of that has to do with the manner in which I make it, which is anything but traditional.  It is so smooth and creamy you won't believe there are no dairy products in it.  On the flip-side it is also chunky and hearty; the perfect combo!  The most important thing is the avocados.  They MUST be ripe!  You want the softer ones, not the hard ones.  It's okay if there's a few brown spots inside, just cut out any big or bad spots.  If they don't have any ripe ones, plan to make your guac a few days later, or just make something else.  The biggest issue with guac is not getting ripe avocados. 


You'll need to assemble all the usual ingredients:
1 lime, juiced (I just use the refrigerated stuff, but you can use a real lime too!)
1 garlic glove
1 T tightly packed cilantro
3 RIPE avacados
1/2 t cumin (I never measure)
salt to taste (I probably use 1.5-2 t of salt)
1/2 red onion, roughly chopped
1 ripe tomato, seeded, roughly chopped (in the winter I just use a 1/2 can of petite-diced tomatoes)

For the magic:
1. In a food processor (or blender), combine cilantro, garlic and 2 T of lime juice.  Process until the cilantro is finely chopped.
Scrape down sides.
2. Add two avocados and process until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. 
3. Add cumin, salt and more lime juice to taste. (It should be a bit too strong at this point)
4. Add the final avocado, chunked and pulse 2x.  Check to make sure you don't need to add more salt, cumin or lime juice.
5. Add the tomatoes and onion and pulse 2-3x, until your guac reaches desired consistency. 

To keep it green:
There are several methods for keeping your guacamole green; I figure if each of them work, why not to all of them!
-Save 1-2 pits and put them in the bottom of the container and just scoop your guac right over them.
-smooth out the top and drizzle a little lime juice over the top so that most of it is wet
-cover the guac with plastic wrap and put the lid on your container!

My favorite chips to have with guac are the Tostitos Multi-Grain.  Aside from being addictive by themselves, they have the perfect balance of flavor and salt to compliment the gauc!


ENJOY!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment